PHMSA is looking for YOUR input on Railroad Carriers Transporting Hazardous Materials!
They are requesting public comment and input from the industry and other stakeholders.
Get started here !
The Office of Research and Technology, The Volpe Center and PHMSA are teaming up to better understand the financial risks involved with transporting hazardous materials by rail. PHMSA initiated the insurance study in March 2016 and is on schedule to complete it by April 2017. It’s being conducted to examine current and future levels and mechanisms to insure rail carriers transporting all hazardous materials.
What will the study examine?
- Does the market offer sufficient levels of insurance to insure against potential damages arising from an accident or incident involving a train transporting hazardous materials
- Level and structure of insurance necessary and appropriate to efficiently allocate risk and financial responsibility for claims
- Ensure that a railroad carrier transporting hazardous materials can continue to operate despite the risk of an accident or incident
- The potential applicability for a train transporting hazardous materials, of an alternative insurance model, including a secondary liability coverage pool or pools to supplement commercial insurance
Comments will be accepted until September 9, 2016
You may submit comments identified by the docket number (PHMSA-2016-0074) by any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: Go to http://www.regulations.gov.Follow the online instructions for submitting comments.
- Fax: (202) 493-2251.
- Mail: Docket Operations, M-30, Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001.
- Hand Delivery: To Docket Operations, Room W12-140 on the ground floor of the West Building, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
Find out more details at the Federal Register